Thursday, August 27, 2009

Twofer

Once again, it's On Stage Thursday. This week, I knew the band, but picking just one song wasn't exactly possible. So, instead, tonight you get a twofer. Even getting to that point was tough.

People who hang out with me much have all heard the phrase "I hate Nickelback." Of course, if they spend about another five minutes with me, they learn that I really don't hate Nickelback, they put on a hell of a show, have a good time, and are quite seriously talented. What I truly hate is my lack of a five-string bass, so that I can play the badass bass lines that Mike lays down.

Nickelback-Never Again


Never Again... Driven, fat, beautifully deep bass. Yes, the lyrics are violent, and harsh, and not really happy and fun. Hell, I think it scared the shit out of my ex wife the first time she heard it (we happened to be driving home after our wedding, ironically enough). Of course, I also contend that the world can be violent and harsh, and isn't always happy and fun, but that's not the point of On Stage Thursday. Through good speakers, the bass on this song cuts straight to the center of your body, threatening to pick you up and toss you backwards.

And for the second:

Nickelback - "Far Away" Video


Far Away... An entire change of pace. An absolutely beautiful bit of songwriting, with a very subtle and almost unnoticed bass part. Lyrically, this song conveys as much emotion, syllable-for-syllable, as anything on popular radio today. The video hits some very tender spots, Dad finally quit fighting fires after over 20 years, so I can empathize firsthand with the fear and concern, which makes it even that much more powerful for me.

Now, it's late, I'm tired, I'm off to bed.

zzzzzzzzzz,
Lokidude

1 comment:

  1. I dont remember being scared. But I might of. I like to listen to Nickelback. I dont have a problem with them. Glad you had a good time at the concert.

    ReplyDelete