Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Teaching Bleg

I got a phone call last night. A friend of a friend is having problems with her soon-to-be ex-husband. She's concerned for her safety, and wants to learn how to shoot. She's going to pursue her CCW, and has a restraining order already in place. I know how useless restraining orders are, but at least they give the police something to prosecute, and a reason to cuff and stuff him if he gets out of line. It seems I'm the designated gun expert amongst my friends, even the gunnie ones. To quote both my buddy Russ and his wife "You're the biggest redneck we know!" Guilty as charged.

Therein lies my bleg. I've taught more than a few people to shoot, and I feel like I do a good job, but I'd like to have a more formal structure than I've used in the past. I'll also be pursuing my NRA Instructor certification, in large part because that will let me count as the "safety instruction" portion for a great number of state CCW processes.

My current "lesson plan" goes like this:

The Four Rules.
These have to be learned and committed to the heart before we go any further. Most folks seem to pick them up fairly quickly, and need only occasional correction.

Specific instruction on the particular guns we'll be using. Where the safety, mag release, etc. are located, how to manipulate them, and how they work. How to load ammo into magazines, load magazines into the weapon, and safely chamber a round.

Once live fire starts, I usually start with a Browning Buckmark in .22lr, and move up to light .38SPL loads in my S&W 19. Live fire after that depends on the student, and what they're comfortable firing.

At all times, I make sure that the student knows that they're welcome to ask any question they have, and I'll answer anything to the best of my ability.

Bear in mind that the vast majority of the people I teach are true new gunnies, never having fired a gun before in their life. They're not usually into 2A politics yet, and may have not even thought of pursuing CCW. With that said, what would you add or change in my plan. And a special bleg to new(er) gunnies, what in particular in your instruction struck a chord with you, or what would you have liked to be included?

Thanks in advance.

Lokidude

No comments:

Post a Comment