Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years later


I have plenty of hazy, scattered memories of September 11, 2001.

I remember waking up to a call from Mom, telling me to turn on the TV, that there'd been a horrible accident. I remember watching the second plane hit, and knowing it was not than coincidence. I remember seeing the wreckage at the Pentagon, and being truly scared for the first time in the whole mess.

About that time, I hauled myself over to the university. I really don't know why, I guess I needed a sense of normalcy. Not that anybody did anything. We rigged up a portable radio and speakers and sat outside the band room all day, listening and feeling shell-shocked.

The memory that I hang, to, though, is something the world learned about weeks later. "Let's roll!" Two simple words, uttered by people who had to know they were going to die, but were determined to die on their feet, free and uncowed.

To me, that embodies the American way. To stand up to evil, to get pissed off, and kick it in the nuts, no matter the odds. And THAT is truly what we need to never forget.

Lokidude

No comments:

Post a Comment