Tuesday, December 7, 2010

180 by 30

I sit here today, 17 months from being 30, with newfound motivation for a goal I've waffled about for years.  Right now, I weigh 240, give or take, and given that I'm 5'4", that's fat.  By the time I'm 30, I want to be a maintainable 180.  This is a goal, not just some squishy New Years resolution.  Resolutions, while good-intentioned, usually lack the critical elements of a goal.

1) A goal is specific and measurable, on a timeline.  I have to drop 60 pounds in 17 months.  That's pretty easy to check and monitor.

2) A goal is achievable.  Breaking it down, that big 60 is around 3.5 pounds/month, or ~1 pound/week.  Very doable.

3) A goal is accountable.  That's why I'm making this declaration.  If I say it, out loud, in front of everybody, then there is pride and honor pushing me on.

4) A goal is personal.   It has to be inside you.  I've always been a fat kid and quite frankly, I'm sick of it, and the associated crap that goes with it.  Coming from a family of diabetics makes it that much more important, especially watching my grandmother suffer through pain and malady that were preventable, or at least mitigable, through discipline and care for herself.  That won't be me. I want to start a family, and be healthy and active to enjoy them.  So, as of today, Operation Fatass begins.

Wish me luck.

Lokidude

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Lokidude! I know you can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there, done that. Not easy, and it is constant work. But the improvements to your health are worth it.

    ReplyDelete