Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Movie Review

Obligatory FTC disclaimer going in: Nobody paid me a bloody cent for this review. In fact, I rented the movie my damn self, with my own dollar (plus tax.)

Better half and I watched Julie & Julia tonight. Yeah, it's a chick flick. No, I really don't care.

The movie follows Julie Powell's personal mission to cook every recipe in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in one year. 524 recipes, 365 days. At the same time, it follows Julia Child's own mission to get the same book published, while dealing with the chaos of her own life.

Meryl Streep does a wonderful job portraying Julia Child, bringing smiles whenever she's on screen. Her performance borders on over-the-top, but anything less would have seemed... wanting.

Amy Adams (as Julie Powell) shows a woman at the ragged end of her rope, one step away from utterly falling apart, whose mission drives her to chaotic, obsessed depths, and who is eventually saved by the love that originally started the mission.

The jokes are fun, the story engaging, and the transitions between the two halves are smooth and effortless. I have no doubt that we'll end up buying it when we find it in the $10 rack.

Lokidude

No comments:

Post a Comment